Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Sufi experience
03-29-2013, 08:26 AM
A Sufi experience
Amarjot Kaur

As excellence chases perfection, it wears the hues of experiences, which have long been guided by wisdom. Of Kabir Das and his mysticism, there's much that can be expounded, but only a few explore the simplicity of his thoughts.

At Tagore Theatre on the second day of the sixth Annual Kabir Festival, Jagir Singh and Sawan Khan pursued Kabir's expression of chastity.

While Sawan Khan Manganiyar, a sufi musician, who hails from Rajasthan, inextricably merged the soulful melody of his musicality with Kabir's lyrical genius, Jagir Singh, incorporated the religious nuances from Kabir's baani in Guru Granth Sahib which exudes in the serenity Gurumat sangeet.

"Soon after I completed my PhD in relation of group poetry with music, I took an intense liking to Kabir's baani that has been mentioned in the Guru Granth Sahib. It was surprising to note the composition of ashtpadhis and the gayan shallies. I am astounded with the Sikh musicology and the alarming degrees to which one can connect with God through music," said Jagir Singh, who has been pursuing this classical art for over 40 years now. "I have been awarded the Shromani Ragi Award and was also conferred with various awards by the Sangeet Natak Akademi for my contribution to Gurmat sangeet," added Singh, who has performed in several countries, including America, England, New Zealand, Iran and Holland.

Meanwhile, Sawan Khan, who has a rather rustic charm in both, his musicality and disposition, said, "I care not for the awards or critical acclaim, my music is purely Sufi and it tenders a medium through which I can connect with God. While I sing, I am engrossed and that is what sufi music is all about."

Sawan has performed at the MTV Coke Studio apart from performing at various other international avenues across the globe. He belongs to the Manghanyar sect, a renowned group of poets who sing wide repertoire of ancient songs. Sawan sings in Sindh and is the vocalist of the Musafir gypsies of Rajasthan which comprises traditional Rajasthani artists.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply